How effective is the ketogenic diet (KD) in treating seizures?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine

According to the results the ketogenic diet has proven to be effective in some cases.

27% have had their seizures controlled  

27% had a decrease of >90% of their seizures within the first year

7% became completely seizure-free within the first year.

Almost all Epilepsy patients who remained on the diet for one full year had a 50% or greater decrease in seizures.

Continue Learning about Epilepsy & Seizures Treatment

What to Do When You See a Seizure
What to Do When You See a Seizure
What do actor Danny Glover, President Theodore Roosevelt and singer Neil Young have in common? All of them have had epilepsy at one point in their liv...
Is there any treatment for Dravet syndrome?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Seizures in Dravet syndrome are difficult to control but can be reduced by anticonvulsant drugs. A k...
What is the right combination of drugs to treat seizures?
Irene A. Semenov, DOIrene A. Semenov, DO
Successful treatment of seizures is based on the correct diagnosis of the epilepsy syndrome. Tre...
Do I need surgery if I have epilepsy?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The majority of people with epilepsy do not need to have surgery. In most cases, seizures can be...