Should I talk to my doctor about my seizure disorder symptoms?

Yes, you should talk to your doctor right away if you experience any symptoms of a seizure disorder, also known as epilepsy. Being examined by your doctor within 24 hours of your first seizure increases your chance of an accurate diagnosis. An accurate diagnosis is essential to effective treatment. If you have epilepsy, the treatment of your symptoms is more likely to be effective if it is started as soon as possible after the symptoms first occur. Some people who receive medication after their first or second seizure can prevent further symptoms from occurring. In addition, about 80 percent of people with epilepsy will be able to control their seizures to some degree with currently available treatments.

Continue Learning about Epilepsy & Seizures

5 Treatment Options for Epilepsy
5 Treatment Options for Epilepsy
For many of the three million Americans currently living with epilepsy, a condition characterized by recurrent seizures, the mainstay of their treatme...
How are epileptic seizures different from nonepileptic seizures?
Irene A. Semenov, DOIrene A. Semenov, DO
Epileptic seizures are due to abnormal electrical discharges in the brain leading to a clinical ...
When should we be concerned about epilepsy?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
If it happens only one time, a seizure is an isolated incident and will stop once the underlying cau...
Can Vitamin Supplements Help Prevent Seizures?