What precautions should I take if my child starts the ketogenic diet?

Marisa Rendon
The diet should be started under close medical supervision. A registered dietitian (RD) who specializes or is familiar with the diet should assist. They will advise about the precautions to take and help with any questions you may have about the diet. The diet is begun gradually and increased to the full amount over a 3 to 4 day period. During this time blood sugar and ketone levels are monitored. A fasting period is not necessary to start the diet according to recent studies. To find a dietitian in your area visit www.eatright.org

Continue Learning about Epilepsy & Seizures

Are You at Risk for Epilepsy?
Are You at Risk for Epilepsy?
Estimates suggest that 3.4 million Americans today are living with epilepsy. It’s a neurological disorder that causes irregular bursts of electrical a...
What are the different types of partial seizures?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
The different types of partial seizures, also known as focal seizures, include the following: sim...
How can we encourage more talks about epilepsy?
Angela Mark, MDAngela Mark, MD
If a student or worker has epilepsy, one could bring in his/her neurologist for a brief educational ...
Are Seniors at Risk for Epilepsy?
Are Seniors at Risk for Epilepsy?