How do normal brain waves differ from those in babies with hypsarrhythmia?

Shaun A. Hussain, MD
Pediatrics
The brain waves in babies with hypsarrhythmia are incredibly chaotic. They look like static noise, and it's this static and chaos that we think prevents kids with infantile spasms from learning and developing. However, there is a spectrum of hypsarrhythmia, and we don’t know how bad hypsarrhythmia needs to be to cause harm, nor how good brain waves need to look after treatment to claim success, and improve the odds of good development.

Continue Learning about Epilepsy & Seizures

What Are the Different Types of Seizures?
Not all seizures are epilepsy. In this video, Gayatri Devi, MD, director of New York Memory and Healthy Aging Services discusses the different forms s...
Are epileptic seizures painful?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Epileptic seizures are not painful. People might feel a bit sleepy afterward but will be back to fee...
Why isn't epilepsy better funded since it is a common condition?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The diagnosis and management of epilepsy is the subject of a large amount of research time, effort a...
How Can I Manage My Seizures?
How Can I Manage My Seizures?