How do I know if my baby is having a seizure?

The sudden onset of unusual movements, behaviors, or spells sometime referred to as a paroxysmal disorder may catch your attention or even be brought to your attention. Some of these may be seizures, and some may not. Seizures in newborns are seemingly random and difficult to distinguish from normal activity. Movements that resemble neonatal seizures can be just jitteriness, breath holding, arching, jerking, or startling. Movement patterns in the newborn that are more likely to be seizures would be breath holding with body stiffening, local jerky movements of one limb or both on one side, many focuses of jerky movements, shocklike contractions, deviations of the eyes upward or to the side, and even laughing.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Epilepsy & Seizures