Can I have a latex allergy and it not show in my blood work?

Yes, you may have a latex allergy even if you have negative blood work. The diagnosis of a latex allergy is based on a thorough history. If your doctor suspects you may have a latex allergy, he or she can order a blood test. Although this test may confirm a latex allergy, it does not pick up all cases of latex allergy and may be negative even if you have a true allergy. If your symptoms are consistent with a latex allergy but your test is negative, your doctor may refer you to have a skin prick test done. However, this test can cause a severe allergic reaction called anaphylactic shock and should only be done in specialized centers.

Continue Learning about Environmental Allergies

Environmental Allergies

Environmental Allergies

With environmental allergies, reducing your exposure to whatever is irritating you is key. Some people are allergic to household cleaners such as laundry detergent, hence the many varieties of mild detergent. With common irritants ...

like mold and dust, a cleaning routine can help. Reduce mold by removing houseplants, using a dehumidifier, avoiding carpet in the bathroom and cleaning indoor trash cans and shower curtains with a mix of water and chlorine bleach. Reduce dust by replacing carpets with wood or linoleum, removing drapes and feather pillows, regularly vacuuming soft furniture and floors, and washing bedding weekly.