Can I have a latex allergy and it not show in my blood work?

Yes, you may have a latex allergy even if you have negative blood work. The diagnosis of a latex allergy is based on a thorough history. If your doctor suspects you may have a latex allergy, he or she can order a blood test. Although this test may confirm a latex allergy, it does not pick up all cases of latex allergy and may be negative even if you have a true allergy. If your symptoms are consistent with a latex allergy but your test is negative, your doctor may refer you to have a skin prick test done. However, this test can cause a severe allergic reaction called anaphylactic shock and should only be done in specialized centers.

Continue Learning about Environmental Allergies

Maybe It’s a Spice Allergy
Maybe It’s a Spice Allergy
When the Spice Girls, Scary, Sporty, Ginger, Baby and Posh were sprinkling their pop vocals over the airwaves, some folks had a strong reaction to the...
How can I protect a child with a latex allergy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
There is no cure for allergies. The best thing you can do is help your child stay away from latex it...
What are some non-gluten sources of fiber?
Dr. Mark Hyman, MDDr. Mark Hyman, MD
The best non-gluten sources of fiber are all types of vegetables and fruits, nuts, seeds, beans, and...
What Are the Different Categories of Allergies?