What causes joint pain?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Having healthy joints is the key to maintaining an active lifestyle. There are many potential causes of joint pain. The most common causes include:

• physical injuries such as sprains, fractures, or dislocations;
  • arthritis, including infectious arthritis and gout;
  • autoimmune diseases, such as lupus or Lyme disease.

If you suffer from stiff, achy joints, you're not alone. Twenty-seven million Americans have osteoarthritis—leader of the pack when it comes to joint-pain culprits. You can thank other causes, as well, including ligament and tendon damage, muscle tears, excess body weight, age, bad posture, and poor biomechanics.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Environment - Bones & Joints

5 Questions and Answers About Treating TGCTs
Tenosynovial giant cell tumors (TGCTs) are a rare type of benign tumor that form on tissues in and around the joints, such as the synovial membrane an...
Tests and Exams to Diagnose Joint Pain Causes
There are many different causes of joint pain. Some are common—osteoarthritis, which occurs due to a breakdown of cartilage in the joints, affects mor...
What Are the Benefits of Soaking in an Epsom Salt Bath?
How Can Weight Loss Relieve My Hip Pain?