How are synovial cysts removed?

Juan P. Villablanca, MD
Neuroradiology
In the past, to remove a synovial cyst, an incision would be made in your back and some bone would be removed. Today, however, doctors can use imaging guidance from computed tomography (CT) scan to remove a synovial cyst. In this procedure, you lie on the CT table. Your doctor numbs the skin on your back and inserts a very thin needle into your spinal canal to the cyst. Contents of the cyst are sucked through the needle. Because the cyst is like a balloon that has been deflated, you instantly feel relief. If the content of cyst is too thick, your doctor can pop the cyst much like a balloon. The content of the cyst moves to your spinal canal and is safely absorbed by the body within a few hours.

Continue Learning about Environment - Bones & Joints

Common Types of Benign Hand Tumors
Common Types of Benign Hand Tumors
The word “tumor” refers to any abnormal mass of cells in the body. While the word tumor is often associated with cancer—and many cancers form tumors—t...
What questions should I ask my doctor about joint pain?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
Joint pain is discomfort that arises at the point where two or more bones meet. Joint pain can be mi...
Is it worrisome when student athletes can pop joints in and out of place?
Jennifer J. Beck, MDJennifer J. Beck, MD
It is worrisome when student athletes can pop joints in and out of place. Two things that are absolu...
Relief for Joint Pain
Relief for Joint Pain