How dangerous is BPH?

A good measure of the seriousness of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) -- enlarged prostate -- is the severity, or frequency, of your symptoms. BPH is not a life-threatening condition and will not lead to worse disease such as prostate cancer. But if urinary symptoms worsen, BPH can become extremely bothersome and cause anxiety and worry.

Some evidence suggests that the more severe symptoms of BPH are associated with an increased risk of developing a serious condition called acute urinary retention (which is the inability to urinate despite a strong urge to do so). Episodes of acute urinary retention are very unusual. But if it does occur, you should treat it like an emergency and get immediate medical attention.

BPH can also become more serious if bladder function deteriorates. If the bladder becomes more sensitive to the urine that is left in it after urinating, incontinence can occur. Fortunately, incontinence also is unusual.

For the vast majority of men, BPH is nothing more than an annoyance.

Continue Learning about Enlarged Prostate

Does an Enlarged Prostate Require Treatment?
You may find the symptoms of an enlarged prostate—frequent urination is among the most common—unpleasant, but does it require treatment? It depends on...
What should I ask my urologist regarding enlarged prostate pain?
Sangtae Park, MDSangtae Park, MD
1.  Is there an infection or tumor?  2.  Is there a nodule or swelling in the gland?  3.  Do I nee...
What is benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH)?
Occurring in the inner part of the prostate gland (called the periurethral gland), BPH is noncancero...
What conditions can lead to a groin pull?
Brian YeeBrian Yee
‘Groin pulls’ typically are due to over-compensation and poor mechanics in the legs and core stabili...