Does enlarged prostate run in families?

Men older than 40 should be on the look out for signs of an enlarged prostate, specifically symptoms like difficulty controlling urination, pain while urinating, and blood in the urine. Once signs are noticed, men should be tested quickly to prevent the symptoms from getting worse. The older men get, the more likely they are to have an enlarged prostate, especially if there is a family history of such problems. However, testing shouldn't be necessary unless symptoms arise.

Continue Learning about Enlarged Prostate

Does an Enlarged Prostate Require Treatment?
You may find the symptoms of an enlarged prostate—frequent urination is among the most common—unpleasant, but does it require treatment? It depends on...
Is an enlarged prostate life-threatening?
Having an enlarged prostate does not affect your chances of getting prostate cancer. Although the tw...
What should I ask my urologist regarding enlarged prostate pain?
Sangtae Park, MDSangtae Park, MD
1.  Is there an infection or tumor?  2.  Is there a nodule or swelling in the gland?  3.  Do I nee...
How dangerous is BPH?
A good measure of the seriousness of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) -- enlarged prostate -- ...