How can I relieve my symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)?

Marc B. Garnick, MD
Hematology & Oncology
These simple steps can help relieve some of the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH):
  • Reduce stress by exercising regularly and practicing relaxation techniques such as meditation. Some men who are nervous and tense urinate more frequently.
  • When you go to the bathroom, take the time to empty your bladder completely. This will reduce the need for subsequent trips to the toilet and reduce the amount of urine that stagnates in the bladder, which can lead to infections and stone formation.
  • Talk with your doctor about all prescription and over-the-counter medications you take; some, such as antihistamines and decongestants, may contribute to the problem. Your doctor may be able to adjust dosages or change your schedule for taking these drugs, or he or she may prescribe different medications that cause fewer urinary problems.
  • Avoid drinking fluids in the evening, particularly caffeinated and alcoholic beverages. Both can affect the muscle tone of the bladder, and both stimulate the kidneys to produce urine, leading to nighttime urination.

Continue Learning about Enlarged Prostate Treatment