What are the symptoms of benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH)?

Typically patients with BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy) have the following symptoms: pain or problems urinating, discolored urine or discomfort in the prostate area. The symptoms you mentioned above would not be typical of BPH and you should follow-up with your doctor for a full medical evaluation to determine their cause(s).
The symptoms of BPH can be similar to those of prostatitis: You feel as if you always have to go to the bathroom, you feel an incomplete emptying of the bladder, and you may feel burning when you urinate. Because you have an incomplete emptying of the bladder, you may dribble like a Harlem Globetrotter. And you may have to get up at night to pee more frequently than an on-call intern stops for coffee. Contrary to popular belief, these symptoms don't increase your risk of getting prostate cancer.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...
Benign prostatic hyperplasia, also known as BPH or an enlarged prostate, can cause problems with urination in men, including trouble initiating a stream and frequent urination at night. Watch Dr. Oz talk about symptoms of BPH.

Continue Learning about Enlarged Prostate Signs & Symptoms

Who should be tested for an enlarged prostate?
Men older than 40 should be on the look out for signs of an enlarged prostate, specifically symptoms...
Should I talk to my doctor about my enlarged prostate symptoms?
If you are a man displaying symptoms of an enlarged prostate, you should contact your doctor and con...
Does an enlarged prostate increase my chances of getting prostate cancer?
Having an enlarged prostate does not affect your chances of getting prostate cancer. Although the tw...
Why is it difficult for men to urinate when they get older?
It's a normal part of getting older: as men age, their prostate (the walnut-shaped gland under the b...