Who should be tested for an enlarged prostate?

Men older than 40 should be on the look out for signs of an enlarged prostate, specifically symptoms like difficulty controlling urination, pain while urinating, and blood in the urine. Once signs are noticed, men should be tested quickly to prevent the symptoms from getting worse. The older men get, the more likely they are to have an enlarged prostate, especially if there is a family history of such problems. However, testing shouldn't be necessary unless symptoms arise.

Continue Learning about Enlarged Prostate Signs & Symptoms

What should I do if I have symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)?
Dr. Marc B. Garnick, MDDr. Marc B. Garnick, MD
If you experience symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or enlarged prostate, see your doc...
Should I talk to my doctor about my enlarged prostate symptoms?
If you are a man displaying symptoms of an enlarged prostate, you should contact your doctor and con...
Why is it difficult for men to urinate when they get older?
It's a normal part of getting older: as men age, their prostate (the walnut-shaped gland under the b...
How does enlarged prostate affect my quality of life?
Men older than 40 should be on the look out for signs of an enlarged prostate, specifically symptoms...