Why is it difficult for men to urinate when they get older?

It's a normal part of getting older: as men age, their prostate (the walnut-shaped gland under the bladder that helps produce semen) begins to thicken, compressing the urethra and making it difficult for urine to pass through. So men may go to the bathroom constantly, but take a long time to actually urinate or finish - and feel like they have to go again right away.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Enlarged Prostate Signs & Symptoms

How does enlarged prostate affect my quality of life?
Men older than 40 should be on the look out for signs of an enlarged prostate, specifically symptoms...
What are the symptoms of benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH)?
MediGuardMediGuard
Typically patients with BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy) have the following symptoms: pain or prob...
What should I do if I have symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)?
Dr. Marc B. Garnick, MDDr. Marc B. Garnick, MD
If you experience symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or enlarged prostate, see your doc...
Should I talk to my doctor about my enlarged prostate symptoms?
If you are a man displaying symptoms of an enlarged prostate, you should contact your doctor and con...