What vitamins can I take to boost my energy?

Dominique Adair
Fitness

Our bodies actually get energy (ATP) from the MACROnutrients we eat.  Macronutrients are the carbohydrates, proteins, and fats contained in our foods.  Vitamins belong to a group of nutrients called micronutrients (because we need them in “micro” amounts relative to the macronutrients).  These micronutrients help us liberate the energy from the carbohydrate, proteins and fats.  You probably don’t need a special vitamin if you are eating well, but you might want to explore spreading your meals and snacks throughout the day as that helps some people sustain their energy levels.  Try to eat mostly whole foods high in fiber so you don’t get that temporary jolt of energy that refined foods can provide, followed by a drop in energy a short time later.  Don’t forget also to examine sleep deprivation and stress which can be HUGE energy zappers.

Taking vitamin supplements will boost your energy level only if you are deficient in them. In particular, our bodies need B vitamins to release the energy in foods. The family of B vitamins includes B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B12 and folic acid. Taking large amounts won't give you extra energy, however, so it isn't wise to consume more than the recommended daily allowance.  

Many people think that popping a few vitamins will give them more energy. Not true, says Dr. Oz—unless you pick the right ones. In this video, Dr. Oz talks about the two supplements that can fight fatigue, and tells you the right way to use them.

Continue Learning about Energy Boosters

In a Bad Mood? Try This
In a Bad Mood? Try This
When your emotional well-being is in need of a "tune up," follow this simple rule for feeling better: take more walks. A strong body of research sugg...
How can health problems affect my energy levels?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
From thyroid issues to anemia and plain old digestive disorders like constipation and irritable bowe...
Boost Your Energy Level in 11 Steps
Boost Your Energy Level in 11 StepsBoost Your Energy Level in 11 StepsBoost Your Energy Level in 11 StepsBoost Your Energy Level in 11 Steps
Recharge your batteries so you can keep on going like the Energizer bunny.
How Did You Start Working Together on Energy Management?