What can I eat to keep my energy levels up throughout the day?

To stay energized all day, you have to eat often. That means shifting away from three big meals toward five to six balanced mini meals. To maintain steady energy levels, pair complex carbs that are high in fiber (e.g., beans, peas and whole grains) with unsaturated fats (e.g., avocado, walnuts or mixed greens with olive oil). Add protein, such as lean meat, nuts, fish and edamame, as an accent rather than as a main dish.
Jessica Crandall
Our bodies are similar to cars....we need a source of energy to operate. For cars that energy is gas and for humans it's food. We must fuel our bodies and feed them good energy. Our bodies like to be recharged every 3-4 hours.

Eating a small snack between meals will keep our energy stores high. A carbohydrate and protein make the perfect snack and a steady energy level. An apple and low fat string cheese or celery sticks and peanut butter are great options.

Eating the proper foods will also increase energy levels. Complex carbohydrates vs. simple carbohydrates are another away to get more energy. Complex carbs, such as whole wheat bread and fruit, will provide more energy. While a simple carb, such as a donut, will give a huge sugar high and a crash shortly after.
Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing
One of my favorite ways to add energy to my day is to include chia seeds in some of the foods I eat and recipes I bake. Chia seeds were used centuries ago by the Aztec Indians. They were carried into battle in a pouch around their neck and used to give them energy and for hydration. When soaked they actually swell 10 times their original size. They are great as a source of bulk/fiber, help you feel full, are full of happy omega's which are healthy fats and truly give me my much needed energy on some of my long stressful shifts. I bake them in cookies and muffins, put them in chilis and sauces and even in hot cereals.

Continue Learning about Energy Boosters

How Did You Start Working Together on Energy Management?
How Can I Boost My Energy Naturally?
How Can I Boost My Energy Naturally?
2 Ways to Breathe for More Energy
2 Ways to Breathe for More Energy
What Dietary Strategies Can Boost Energy?