How can depression or anxiety affect my energy?

Energy-zapping fatigue is one of the most prominent symptoms someone experiencing depression faces, causing withdrawal from the productive activities crucial to daily life. Depressed individuals may find themselves feeling like they can’t get out of bed, or sleeping longer than normal with no clear explanation.

Even in the presence of overwhelming fatigue, depression sufferers can also experience insomnia. This can be a side effect of certain medications, but also puts a person at risk for more intense health issues up to and including the consideration of suicide. Restorative sleep is crucial to the treatment of depression, and should be reviewed seriously with your healthcare provider.

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine Specialist

As anyone in a state of depression or anxiety knows, these conditions will suck the life energy right out of you. The constant state of agitation keeps your body struggling to survive, let alone give you real energy—energy that comes from deep within your soul and ebbs and flows with your daily challenges. Individuals with depression and anxiety will over-function out in the world, with false energy—living life "busy" in order to be accepted, acknowledged, loved or rewarded—just to survive.

A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Continue Learning about Energy Boosters

Creating Your Own Sources of Renewable Energy
Wouldn’t it be great if you could put on a solar panel hat and run all day on the fuel and energy that would generate? Well, you do use the sun as a s...
As a mom, how can I find out why I might have low energy?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
There are lots of habits that people get into without realizing it. Take a few days -- or even a wee...
5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump
5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump5 Ways to Beat the Afternoon Slump
And we're not talking about caffeine.
How Can I Boost My Energy Without Coffee?