Why is it so difficult to diagnose endometriosis?

Endometriosis, a chronic and painful condition, can be difficult to diagnose because there are no easy tests like blood or urine samples to confirm the disease. Additionally, endometriosis has many symptoms and affects women differently. Endometriosis is often not recognized or understood, and the type and severity of symptoms one woman experiences may differ from the next woman's.

Some women may write off their symptoms as "normal," not realizing there is reason to alert a health care professional (HCP). They may be embarrassed to bring up their symptoms or may not communicate them clearly to their HCP for fear they'll appear to be complaining or blowing things out of proportion. 

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Endometriosis

Will I Need Surgery for Endometriosis?
Will I Need Surgery for Endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a condition in which tissue that is similar to the tissue that lines the inside of the uterus (this tissue is called "endometrium") g...
Does endometriosis affect children differently than adults?
Since endometriosis flares up with your menstrual cycle, it is not usually identified in younger gir...
What is a pelvic exam for endometriosis?
You may need a pelvic exam for endometriosis because a pelvic exam is recommended for evaluation of ...
How Can I Manage the Pain from Endometriosis?