When should I call my doctor if I have endometriosis?


If you have endometriosis, you should call your doctor if you are having back pain after being treated for endometriosis, if you have been trying unsuccessfully to become pregnant for more than 6 months or if you are experiencing symptoms of endometriosis. Symptoms of endometriosis may include painful intercourse, pain and/or bleeding when urinating, severe menstrual cramps, heavy menstrual flow, infertility, diarrhea and/or constipation or pelvic pain.

Endometriosis is a disease in which tissue normally found only in the lining of the uterus grows outside of the uterus, sometimes attaching to internal organs creating masses and scarring in the pelvic cavity and in rare cases outside of the pelvic cavity. In addition to causing sometimes severe pain and other symptoms, endometriosis is linked to infertility, affecting up to half of women who have infertility issues. Endometriosis affects about five million American women, most of whom are between ages 25 and 40. The cause of endometriosis is unknown. The condition can be managed with treatments including surgery and medications and usually improves after menopause.

Continue Learning about Endometriosis


Are you one of seven million women in the United States with endometriosis? If so, you may also be struggling with infertility. Endometriosis is a female reproductive disorder characterized by pelvic pain, inflammation and vaginal ...

bleeding. This painful condition can affect any female of menstruating age, although it is more likely to run in families. If you experience abnormal bleeding or pelvic pain, talk to your doctor. While there is no known cause, and no known cure for endometriosis, treatments do exist, including medications and surgery to reduce symptoms and restore fertility.

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.