When should I call my doctor if I have endometriosis?

If you have endometriosis, you should call your doctor if you are having back pain after being treated for endometriosis, if you have been trying unsuccessfully to become pregnant for more than 6 months or if you are experiencing symptoms of endometriosis. Symptoms of endometriosis may include painful intercourse, pain and/or bleeding when urinating, severe menstrual cramps, heavy menstrual flow, infertility, diarrhea and/or constipation or pelvic pain.

Endometriosis is a disease in which tissue normally found only in the lining of the uterus grows outside of the uterus, sometimes attaching to internal organs creating masses and scarring in the pelvic cavity and in rare cases outside of the pelvic cavity. In addition to causing sometimes severe pain and other symptoms, endometriosis is linked to infertility, affecting up to half of women who have infertility issues. Endometriosis affects about five million American women, most of whom are between ages 25 and 40. The cause of endometriosis is unknown. The condition can be managed with treatments including surgery and medications and usually improves after menopause.

Continue Learning about Endometriosis

What are the Treatment Options for Endometriosis?
Although endometriosis is relatively common—believed to affect approximately 1 in 10 women of reproductive age, by some estimates—it is not well under...
Does endometriosis affect children differently than adults?
Since endometriosis flares up with your menstrual cycle, it is not usually identified in younger gir...
How does exercise help endometriosis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Some researchers believe that regular exercise can help to prevent endometriosis. The theory is that...
Is Endometriosis a Serious Condition?
Is Endometriosis a Serious Condition?