What do I need to know about endometriosis?

Endometriosis causes pain one to two weeks before a woman's period comes.

You should know that if you suspect that you have endometriosis by symptoms of pain, or if you've been trying to conceive and you've not been able to do so, it's important to visit with your doctor to allow him or her the opportunity to go through your history with you and perform a physical examination so that endometriosis can be diagnosed. It's also important to realize that once endometriosis is suspected, medications are a good first line therapy.

At the point that medication is either not effective or if your priority is conceiving, then surgical evaluation, diagnoses and treatment are perhaps the best options. Always be aware that endometriosis is a chronic condition and when fertility is no longer desired, hysterectomy and perhaps ovary removal may be considered in order to diminish or eliminate a hormone production that can be feeding the endometriosis.

Continue Learning about Endometriosis

Ways to Advocate for Yourself at the Doctor
Many patients with endometriosis can spend years getting an accurate diagnosis. In this video, Kevin Windom, MD, offers advice for patients experienci...
Is endometriosis serious?
Endometriosis can be serious especially if it remains untreated. Depending on the amount of endometr...
Should I talk to my doctor about my endometriosis symptoms?
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms associated with endometriosis, you should speak with you...
Is There a Cure for Endometriosis?
Is There a Cure for Endometriosis?