What lifestyle modifications can help with endometriosis?

Lifestyle modifications that can help manage the symptoms of endometriosis include a healthy diet, excercise, and methods to manage pain without necessarily having to use pain medication, such as yoga, stretching, and supportive care.
Reducing the amount of red meat in your diet, upping intake of fresh fruit and vegetables and getting three or more days of moderate- to high-intensity exercise will help you in numerous ways -- and may make a difference in the severity of your endometriosis. So they're certainly worth a try. The following are some ways to integrate better eating and fitness into your daily life:
  • Stock the fridge with washed, precut veggies and fruit bowls. You're more likely to reach for something healthy if it's as easy to eat as that bag of chips.
  • Build your meals around a vegetable course, not a meat course. Instead of pork chops with spinach on the side, sauté a huge amount of spinach and dice a bit of pork into it for the protein.
  • Bump up the veggies and fruit in unexpected places. How about dicing zucchini and summer squash into your pasta sauce, topping salmon with a fruit salsa and mixing a bag of frozen broccoli into that mac and cheese or lasagna?
  • Enlist a partner in your quest for exercise. Together, the two of you sign up for a class at the gym, commit to brisk walking three mornings a week or agree to train for a 5K run. It's much harder to skip out on a friend than it is to skip out on your own promise to exercise.
  • Find something you love to do and do it! Who says exercise has to be a one-hour aerobics class at the gym or a solitary jog? How about signing up for Latina dance classes, creating a new garden, taking up racquetball or tennis or learning to mountain bike?
This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Endometriosis

5 Ways Endometriosis Pain Differs from Normal Period Pain
As young girls heading into adolescence, we’re told that periods are a normal part of becoming women and every month or so, our bodies will undergo me...
How Can I Manage the Pain from Endometriosis?
Can You Diagnose Endometriosis Without a Laparoscopy?
Can Exercise Help with the Symptoms of Endometriosis?