What is the connection between endometriosis and infertility?

The relationship between endometriosis and infertility is not completely understood. The primary cause of infertility resulting from endometriosis appears to be a blockage caused by scarring and adhesions in the tubes. These adhesions can prevent the egg and sperm from meeting or prevent the fertilized egg from moving down the tube normally (resulting in an ectopic pregnancy).

Some researchers feel that endometriosis can cause a luteal phase defect, which results from low levels of the hormone progesterone or a poor build-up of the uterine lining after ovulation. A luteal phase defect makes it difficult for the fertilized egg to implant. Some studies report as high as a 36 percent spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) rate in women with endometriosis versus 15 percent in the normal population. Other areas being studied are the effect of endometriosis on normal ovarian function and the role of prolactin in endometriosis.

Continue Learning about Endometriosis

What are the Treatment Options for Endometriosis?
Although endometriosis is relatively common—believed to affect approximately 1 in 10 women of reproductive age, by some estimates—it is not well under...
If I Go on Birth Control to Treat Endometriosis, Will That Affect My Ability to Get Pregnant Later?
Is There a Cure for Endometriosis?
Is There a Cure for Endometriosis?
Can Exercise Help with the Symptoms of Endometriosis?