What are the biggest challenges facing women who have endometriosis?

When asked to identify some common challenges associated with endometriosis, women report heavy menstrual bleeding as the most challenging problem created by endometriosis. Other challenges included not being able to participate in routine activities due to pain, missing work, painful sex and feeling alone after the diagnosis. These challenges were reported in a 2017 online survey titled "What Do You Know About Endometriosis?" conducted in the United States among 1,211 women over the age of 18 and 352 health care professionals.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Endometriosis

Will I Need Surgery for Endometriosis?
Will I Need Surgery for Endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a condition in which tissue that is similar to the tissue that lines the inside of the uterus (this tissue is called "endometrium") g...
Why is it so difficult to diagnose endometriosis?
Endometriosis, a chronic and painful condition, can be difficult to diagnose because there are no ea...
Can endometriosis be prevented?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
The cause of endometriosis is poorly understood. There is certainly a genetic component, as sisters ...
Is Endometriosis a Serious Condition?
Is Endometriosis a Serious Condition?