What are endometriosis implants?

Endometrial implants refer to displaced endometrial tissue throughout the abdominal and pelvic area. Any endometrial tissue found outside of the uterus is called an implant. An endometrial implant can develop cysts and scar tissue and, in rare cases, turn cancerous.
Endometriosis implants occur in a condition called endometriosis, when the endometrial (inside) lining of the uterus is found in other locations of the body. Endometriosis implants are small parts of endometrial tissue that implant into another type of tissue, such as the ovaries.

Continue Learning about Endometriosis

From Questions to Answers: Relief from Endometriosis
“I’m just being overly sensitive.” “This is part of normal periods.” “Periods are supposed to be painful.” “Women in my family have difficult perio...
Why do women and their doctors often miscommunicate about endometriosis?
Women and their doctors or other health care professionals (HCPs) often miscommunicate about endomet...
How does endometriosis change with age?
Doctors Hospital of AugustaDoctors Hospital of Augusta
Endometriosis doesn’t have to worsen with age. While endometriosis is a chronic condition that has n...
Can You Diagnose Endometriosis Without a Laparoscopy?