Should I talk to my doctor about my endometriosis symptoms?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If you are experiencing any of the symptoms associated with endometriosis, you should speak with your doctor right away. Additionally, if you have a family history of endometriosis, you should make an appointment to discuss your chances of developing the condition. With time, endometriosis can cause permanent damage to your reproductive system so it is best to speak with your doctor promptly. As with any appointment, be sure to discuss with your doctor the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications associated with endometriosis.

If you are experiencing endometriosis symptoms, the starting point is talking to your doctor or other health care professional. Getting a diagnosis can be difficult. Women with endometriosis can suffer for six to 10 years before proper diagnosis.

Before your appointment, arm yourself with knowledge. Gather your medical records and write down your symptoms. Log how much pain you experience on an average day and how often, if there's a time of day when symptoms are worse or better, if specific activities worsen or relieve the pain, or if the pain comes and goes.

Don't downplay your symptoms or be afraid to ask questions. It can also be helpful to find a doctor who has experience treating endometriosis. He or she may recommend having a laparoscopy to remove a small sample of tissue for testing, known as biopsy, to confirm your diagnosis.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Endometriosis

What are the Treatment Options for Endometriosis?
Although endometriosis is relatively common—believed to affect approximately 1 in 10 women of reproductive age, by some estimates—it is not well under...
Endometriosis: 5 Considerations When Seeking a Second Opinion
In medicine, a second opinion is an opinion from a healthcare provider other than your current healthcare provider. The goal of getting a second opini...
What Is the Treatment for Endometriosis?
What Is Endometriosis?
What Is Endometriosis?