Is endometriosis serious?

Endometriosis can be serious especially if it remains untreated. Depending on the amount of endometrial tissue and where it is located, the symptoms of endometriosis can be debilitating. More than this, endometriosis has been known to affect fertility and occasionally develop into uterine or ovarian cancer.

Endometriosis can vary in severity from woman to woman.  Some women have endometriosis all of their lives and never even know it because they don't have any problems resulting from it.  For other women, however, endometriosis can cause side effects ranging from irritating to quite debilitating and life threatening. 
Usuallly, endometriosis causes painful periods and pain with deep penetration during sex.  Since it can form scar tissue adhesions on the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus, it is also a common cause of infertility in women.  It also places a woman at a greater risk for ectopic pregnancy and ovarian cancer.  In the most severe cases, endometrial implants affect the intestines and can cause partial or complete intestinal obstruction, which can be life threatening.

Continue Learning about Endometriosis

Will I Need Surgery for Endometriosis?
Will I Need Surgery for Endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a condition in which tissue that is similar to the tissue that lines the inside of the uterus (this tissue is called "endometrium") g...
What increases my risk for endometriosis?
Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MDDr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
There are numerous theories on how endometriosis occurs, and depending on the theory, there are diff...
What is adenomyosis?
Dr. John C. Lipman, MDDr. John C. Lipman, MD
To understand adenomyosis, one needs to understand the layers of the uterus. There are 3 main layers...
Padma Lakshmi on Health Challenges and Her Daughter