How do I know which treatment option is the best for my endometriosis?

To find out which treatment option is the best for your endometriosis you would need to speak to a doctor. A doctor would determine whether you have severe, moderate, or mild endometriosis and then discuss the best treatment option.
It's tough to know which treatment for endometriosis is best for you, especially since very few comparative studies have been conducted to determine which approach is better. There are pros and cons for all treatments. Most women with the disease can find relief via medical therapies, and birth control pills may be used indefinitely to manage symptoms. Other women turn to surgery. However, many women try to avoid surgery to remove the uterus because it's a serious procedure that will leave them infertile and carries no guarantee of banishing endometriosis forever.

Because of the risks associated with surgery, the usual course of treatment is to proceed from the least invasive or risky to the more invasive treatment. That means medical treatment first.

If that doesn't work, your doctor may recommend laparoscopy, with surgery to remove the uterus as a last resort.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Endometriosis

5 Ways Endometriosis Pain Differs from Normal Period Pain
As young girls heading into adolescence, we’re told that periods are a normal part of becoming women and every month or so, our bodies will undergo me...
3 Ways Exercise Can Help Relieve Endometriosis
Whether you’ve just been diagnosed with endometriosis or have been living with it for years, you may be wondering if there is anything you can do at h...
What Causes Endometriosis?
What Causes Endometriosis?
How Can I Manage the Pain from Endometriosis?