Is there a cure for endometriosis?

While other treatments help to manage endometriosis, surgery is the only treatment that may provide a cure for the condition. Your doctor may recommend minor surgery in which only displaced sections of the endometrial tissue are removed. But even then, endometriosis comes back in most women. Surgery combined with medication to suppress the action of the ovaries is more reliable. If your case is more advanced and you are not planning on having children, your doctor may recommend a hysterectomy and oophorectomy  (removal of your ovaries).
Sangeeta Senapati, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

There is currently no known cure for endometriosis. Your doctor may recommend minor surgery in which only displaced sections of the endometrial tissue are removed. In more severe cases or if you are not planning to have any more children, you doctor may recommend hysterectomy and possibly removal of the ovaries.

Continue Learning about Endometriosis

What Causes Endometriosis?
What Causes Endometriosis?
One of the first questions on a person’s mind when diagnosed with a health condition is: What caused this? Unfortunately, this question does not alwa...
How is endometriosis diagnosed?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
There are a variety of ways to diagnose endometriosis, but usually your doctor will begin by perform...
How will I know if I have endometriosis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
There are several symptoms that may alert you that you have endometriosis, the growth of tissue like...
How Common Is Endometriosis?
How Common Is Endometriosis?