What are the stages of endometrial cancer?

The following stages are used for endometrial cancer:

Stage I: In stage I, cancer is found in the uterus only. Stage I is divided into stages IA, IB, and IC, based on how far the cancer has spread:

Stage IA: Cancer is in the endometrium only. Stage IB: Cancer has spread into the inner half of the myometrium (muscle layer of the uterus). Stage IC: Cancer has spread into the outer half of the myometrium.

Stage II: In stage II, cancer has spread from the uterus to the cervix, but has not spread outside the uterus. Stage II is divided into stages IIA and IIB, based on how far the cancer has spread into the cervix.

Stage IIA: Cancer has spread to the glands where the cervix and uterus meet. Stage IIB: Cancer has spread into the connective tissue of the cervix.

Stage III: In stage III, cancer has spread beyond the uterus and cervix, but has not spread beyond the pelvis. Stage III is divided into stages IIIA, IIIB, and IIIC, based on how far the cancer has spread within the pelvis:

Stage IIIA: Cancer has spread to one or more of the following: The outermost layer of the uterus; or Tissue just beyond the uterus; or The peritoneum Stage IIIB: Cancer has spread beyond the uterus and cervix, into the vagina. Stage IIIC: Cancer has spread to lymph nodes near the uterus. Stage IV: In stage IV, cancer has spread beyond the pelvis. Stage IV is divided into stages IVA and IVB, based on how far the cancer has spread. Stage IVA: Cancer has spread to the bladder and/or bowel wall. Stage IVB: Cancer has spread to other parts of the body beyond the pelvis, including lymph nodes in the abdomen and/or groin.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Endometrial (Uterine) Cancer

Is endometrial cancer the same as uterine cancer?
Cancer of the uterus most often begins in the lining of the uterus, called the endometrium, and is s...
What are the treatment options for uterine cancer?
Dr. Sharyn N. Lewin, MDDr. Sharyn N. Lewin, MD
Once the diagnosis of uterine cancer is made by your doctor, you may be referred to a gynecologic on...
Where does endometrial cancer spread?
Kristine A. Borrison, MDKristine A. Borrison, MD
Endometrial cancer will typically spread first into the uterine wall. Listen as gynecologist Kristin...
Can a Person Get Endometrial Cancer from Consuming Sugary Drinks?