How dangerous is uterine cancer?

Most uterine cancer is diagnosed in its early stages so relatively few women die from it. The five-year survival rate for women diagnosed when their cancer is still in stage I is 96%. That's why it is so important to evaluate abnormal bleeding sooner rather than later so that if a cancer is present it will be diagnosed in its earliest, most curable stage.

In a premenopausal or perimenopausal woman, abnormal bleeding is anything that varies from a normal monthly flow. Heavy bleeding, constant spotting or irregular cycles may all indicate a problem. Any bleeding in a postmenopausal woman should be evaluated. The overwhelming majority of abnormal bleeding is not an indication of uterine cancer, but still needs to be checked out.

Continue Learning about Endometrial (Uterine) Cancer

What is recurrent endometrial cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Recurrent endometrial cancer is cancer that has recurred (come back) after it has been treated. The ...
What are the treatment options for uterine cancer?
Dr. Sharyn N. Lewin, MDDr. Sharyn N. Lewin, MD
Once the diagnosis of uterine cancer is made by your doctor, you may be referred to a gynecologic on...
What factors affect my prognosis with endometrial cancer?
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:The stage of the ca...
Can a Person Get Endometrial Cancer from Consuming Sugary Drinks?