What should I tell my doctor before hemisection dental surgery?

Before undergoing hemisection dental surgery, tell your dental surgeon about any other dental problems you may have. Your dentist will also ask about your medical history and the medications you take. You should give your dental surgeon complete answers, even if you don’t think the information is relevant. Herbal remedies, supplements and over-the-counter medications all can affect the healing process. Also tell your dental surgeon if you have any heart problems, past or present. You may need to take antibiotics before hemisection dental surgery if you have certain heart conditions.

Let the dental surgeon know if you have allergies to specific medications, or have had a problem with anesthesia in the past. Also, be aware that dental surgery is not recommended for pregnant women unless it’s an emergency, so if you are (or might be) pregnant, tell your dental surgeon. If you’re taking birth control pills, inform your dental surgeon; antibiotics can sometimes decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills.

Continue Learning about Endodontic Surgery