How do I know if I need dental root amputation?

Your dentist or dental surgeon will be able to tell you if you need a dental root amputation, also known as a dental root resection. You may or may not have noticeable symptoms of a decayed tooth root. The dental root amputation is done when one of a tooth’s roots is damaged, but the other roots and the rest of the tooth are fine. Some dentists prefer to extract (remove) the entire tooth and put in a permanent dental implant instead. Your dental surgeon can talk to you about the pros and cons of dental root amputation, as well as other options.

Continue Learning about Endodontic Surgery

What are the benefits of hemisection dental surgery?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Hemisection dental surgery offers several benefits. For one thing, the decayed bone between the toot...
What are endodontic lesions?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Endodontic lesions occur when the nerve dies, its dying nerve tissue (called necrotic debris) st...
What is the most common procedure in surgical endodontics?
There are many surgical procedures that can be performed to save a tooth. The most common is called ...
If I have a traumatic dental injury, who can fix my teeth?
Depending on the injury, the treatment could involve the general dentist and specialists including a...