How long does dental root amputation take?

A dental root amputation, also known as dental root resection, is performed over several visits. A root canal is the first procedure, to clear out the nerves and blood vessels from the affected root. A root canal takes one to three hours. The next procedure is the actual dental root amputation, which takes about the same amount of time. The procedure involves cutting into the gums near the affected dental root and removing the diseased or damaged root. The last stage of the procedure is placing a restoration, or crown, on the tooth to help stabilize it.

Continue Learning about Endodontic Surgery

What is endodontics?
Endodontics is a specialty within the field of dentistry. The most familiar endodontic treatment...
What are the benefits of hemisection dental surgery?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Hemisection dental surgery offers several benefits. For one thing, the decayed bone between the toot...
What is the most common procedure in surgical endodontics?
There are many surgical procedures that can be performed to save a tooth. The most common is called ...
If I have a traumatic dental injury, who can fix my teeth?
Depending on the injury, the treatment could involve the general dentist and specialists including a...