How do I care for someone who has had dental root amputation?

You should care for someone who had dental root amputation in a similar way to someone who had a root canal. The person will have a sore mouth for a few days and won’t be able to eat hard foods. Prepare soft foods that won’t injure the gums. Remind the person to take any prescribed antibiotics and pain medications, if needed. The person you are caring for may have instructions to rinse with warm salt water, so you can prepare that and remind the person to use it. Make sure to get the instructions from the endodontist (dental surgeon) and ask about anything you don’t understand. You can also call the endodontist during the recovery if any questions arise.

Continue Learning about Endodontic Surgery

What is the most common procedure in surgical endodontics?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
There are many surgical procedures that can be performed to save a tooth. The most common is called ...
If I have a traumatic dental injury, who can fix my teeth?
Depending on the injury, the treatment could involve the general dentist and specialists including a...
What are endodontic lesions?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Endodontic lesions occur when the nerve dies, its dying nerve tissue (called necrotic debris) st...
What is endodontics?
Endodontics is a specialty within the field of dentistry. The most familiar endodontic treatment...