Can I get dental root amputation if I am pregnant?

You can get a dental root amputation if you’re pregnant; however, it’s not recommended unless it’s an emergency. During pregnancy, your gums are likely to be more sensitive and inflamed. Dentists call this “pregnancy gingivitis.” The condition starts as early as the second month of pregnancy and can last through the third trimester. Dentists try to avoid doing dental work on pregnant women unless it’s absolutely necessary, because a pregnant woman’s body has increased hormone levels that cause bacterial to grow more rapidly in the mouth. Pregnancy can also affect a woman’s immune system, and the gums can bleed more. In addition, a dental root amputation requires the use of local anesthesia. It’s best to avoid unnecessary medications when pregnant.

Continue Learning about Endodontic Surgery

What are the benefits of hemisection dental surgery?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Hemisection dental surgery offers several benefits. For one thing, the decayed bone between the toot...
What is the most common procedure in surgical endodontics?
There are many surgical procedures that can be performed to save a tooth. The most common is called ...
What is an endodontist?
Endodontists are dentists who specialize in maintaining teeth through endodontic therapy -- or proce...
What conditions can an endodontist treat?
Endodontists perform a variety of procedures including endodontic therapy (commonly known as root ca...