Why do humans have melatonin?

Melatonin evolved for us to sense light and dark, as well as changes in season, because our circadian rhythms help regulate our reproductive rhythms. Originally, nature tried to schedule the occurrence of births at a time of year when the odds of survival for mother and baby were the greatest—that is, when the days are long and the nights are short (and the food supply is the greatest). So melatonin cycles meant more babies were conceived to be born in spring.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

From the Authors of the #1 Bestselling YOU: On A Diet and YOU: On a WalkWouldn't you like to know how to prevent your body from aging badly? Most of us believe that at age 40 or so, we begin the slow...

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?