Where is the best endocrinology center located?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
This is the kind of question that's bound to get anyone in trouble if he dare answer it! There are so many terrific places around the country where the endocrine care is superb, that there's no way to be comprehensive in giving a list, but you're sure to upset some fine institution if you leave them off. So, at the risk of slighting some very deserved places or people, I'll answer this in a very personal way.
Everyone is partial to where they trained, and that includes me. Accordingly, I think the endocrine divisions at Yale Medical School and at the Brigham and Women's Hospital at Harvard Medical School are both very good. The Brigham and Women's Hospital (a Sharecare partner, I'm proud to say) is also only a block or so away from the Joslin Diabetes Center's main facility. The Joslin Center is certainly the preeminent center for diabetes research and care in the world, and they have several affiliate centers around the country. The Diabetes Research Institute at the University of Miami has terrific cutting-edge research and patient care. I did endocrine training and research at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, near where I grew up and where I now have my private practice. The NIH has always had a great endocrine division, and unlike many of the other disciplines at the NIH, they are willing to see people in the outpatient clinic even if they do not fit neatly into an experimental protocol. Other truly exceptional endocrinology departments around the country include the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and the University of California in San Francisco. The Scripps Institute in San Diego is well-known for both clinical care and research. And my former medical school thesis advisor, Dr. Andrew Stewart, a professor at Yale when I was a student, is now the Chairman at the University of Pittsburgh Medical School where he runs a terrific program.
The bottom line is that there are a lot of great institutions, and lots of great doctors all around the country. Often the question shouldn't be is "Where is the best endocrinology center?" but rather "Where are they doing the best work related to my issue?" In other words, one great institution may have researchers working actively on diabetes, while another may have its strength in adrenal problems, etc. 

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

Endocrine System

Your endocrine system works with your nervous system to control important bodily functions. The endocrine systems responsibilities include regulating growth, sexual development and function, metabolism and mood. The endocrine syst...

em also helps give your body the energy it needs to function properly. Endocrine glands secrete hormones into the bloodstream. Hormones are considered chemical messengers, coordinating your body by transferring information from one set of cells to another. Your endocrine system health can be affected by hormone imbalances resulting from impaired glands. A hormone imbalance can cause problems with bodily growth, sexual development, metabolism and other bodily functions. Endocrine system diseases or conditions include diabetes, growth disorders and osteoporosis.