When may goiter surgery be necessary?

Surgery for MNG (multinodular goiter) is indicated when FNA (fine needle aspiration) of a dominant nodule is suspicious for malignancy, the goiter is growing or is cosmetically unappealing, or there are compressive symptoms due to the size of the goiter. The extent of surgery is based on the suspicion for malignancy, presence of thyroid dysfunction, and presence of bilateral nodules. In patients who have normal thyroid function, with compressive symptoms due to a single nodule, with a benign biopsy, and no nodules on the opposite side, unilateral thyroid lobectomy is appropriate. Otherwise total thyroidectomy is the operation of choice.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Hormone Replacement Therapy May Be Good
Fear-mongering about hormone replacement therapy isn’t good science. For the right woman with nasty menopausal symptoms and the right man with low tes...
How do obesogens affect my weight?
Obesogens, or endocrine disruptors, mimic the actions of naturally occurring hormones in our bodies,...
How do I know if I have multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
A blood test can determine if a person has multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2). A person with...
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?