What types of adrenal gland surgery are available?

There are a number of types of operations to remove the adrenal gland. The appropriate approach will ultimately be determined by:
  • tumor size
  • patient characteristics (body size and shape, medical conditions, previous operations, etc.)
  • the experience and expertise of the surgeon.
The two main types of adrenalectomy are open and laparoscopic adrenalectomy. For very large tumors and for tumors with a high risk of cancer, the open approach is still preferred. For both open and laparoscopic adrenalectomy, there are a number of different techniques and variations. In general, the approach used depends on the tumor, patient characteristics (such as body size/shape and previous abdominal surgery) as well as surgeon expertise. For this reason, the most important thing is to find an experienced surgeon.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?