What is persistent hyperparathyroidism?

Persistent hyperparathyroidism means that your calcium level never normalized after your parathyroid exploration. This is usually caused by a ‘missed gland’, the failure to identify or to remove abnormal parathyroid gland at the initial exploration. It is well documented that exploration performed by an experienced parathyroid surgeon has success rate that exceeds 95%. The failures are attributed to ectopic located gland(s), presence of additional fifth gland, and/or unrecognized multi gland disease. In re-operative series, unfortunately, it has been reported that the majority of glands found are single gland and located at its normal anatomic position. Inexperienced surgeons could have failure rate as high as 30%.
For more information go the endocrinediseases.org:
Diseases of the parathyroid glands: Treatment: Alternative to Surgery
Diseases of the parathyroid glands: Re-operative (re-do) parathyroid surgery
Diseases of the parathyroid glands: Find an Expert Parathyroid Surgeon

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?