What might it mean if my calcium level is normal and my PTH is high?

If your calcium level is normal and your level of parathyroid hormone (PTH) is high, it’s likely due to early presentation of hyperparathyroidism. Random blood levels may demonstrate high calcium occasionally. Some patients will eventually develop the full disease and its complications. Many never go on to develop the classic form of the disease. Although surgery in the case of normal calcium with high PTH normalizes the PTH levels much is unknown of its benefit in the long run.

For additional information, please refer to www.endocrine diseases.org:  

Parathyroid gland

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

Endocrine System

Your endocrine system works with your nervous system to control important bodily functions. The endocrine systems responsibilities include regulating growth, sexual development and function, metabolism and mood. The endocrine syst...

em also helps give your body the energy it needs to function properly. Endocrine glands secrete hormones into the bloodstream. Hormones are considered chemical messengers, coordinating your body by transferring information from one set of cells to another. Your endocrine system health can be affected by hormone imbalances resulting from impaired glands. A hormone imbalance can cause problems with bodily growth, sexual development, metabolism and other bodily functions. Endocrine system diseases or conditions include diabetes, growth disorders and osteoporosis.