What might it mean if my calcium level is normal and my PTH is high?

If your calcium level is normal and your level of parathyroid hormone (PTH) is high, it’s likely due to early presentation of hyperparathyroidism. Random blood levels may demonstrate high calcium occasionally. Some patients will eventually develop the full disease and its complications. Many never go on to develop the classic form of the disease. Although surgery in the case of normal calcium with high PTH normalizes the PTH levels much is unknown of its benefit in the long run.

For additional information, please refer to www.endocrine diseases.org:  

Parathyroid gland

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Hormone Replacement Therapy May Be Good
Fear-mongering about hormone replacement therapy isn’t good science. For the right woman with nasty menopausal symptoms and the right man with low tes...
Can endocrine system diseases be prevented?
Endocrine system diseases can be hard to prevent, because doctors do not understand what causes many...
Is there a cure for multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN1)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
There is no cure for multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN1). However, medicines and operations h...
What Are Effective Treatments for an Underactive Thyroid?