What is the link between mood and hormones?

Our mood can impact our physiology, and our physiology can influence the balance of our hormones. Additionally, our body can interpret our mood -- anger, sadness, exhaustion, and so on -- as,you guessed it, stress. Take, for example, tiredness. It’s late at night and you haven’t been getting much sleep lately. You’re irritable and feel like you’ve just tied the end of your rope and are now hanging on. Not only has your level of stress caused a surge in cortisol, which can trip your appetite, but chances are your body’s balance of appetite hormones -- namely leptinand ghrelin -- will also be out of whack, so you’ll crave sugary, high-calorie foods. This is when you rummage through your refrigerator for last night’s chocolate cake, topping it off with mac-and-cheese leftovers from your kids’ dinner. Then the guilt sets in, and you hate yourself for gorging so late at night on fattening” food. When you notice that you’re up a tick or two on the scale the next day, that stresses you out some more. The cycle continues the next night when you stare at the ceiling stressing about all sorts of things, from your weight gain to your unfinished chores and bad mood that resulted in a fight with your husband after dinner.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?