What is ghrelin?

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Ghrelin is your primary hunger hormone. It is released from your stomach lining when you are hungry. It then circulates through your blood to your brain to alert you to your physical hunger. It has many functions throughout your body besides hunger. It also functions within the pleasure/reward center of the brain, plays a role in memory formation, immune function, and even sleep.

Ghrelin is a hormone that tells your brain that you're hungry. When you don't sleep well, more of this hormone is produced, causing your brain to keep getting the message that you need to eat. That's why researchers link obesity to sleep deficiency

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?