What is androstanolone?

Androstanolone is a hormone made from testosterone in the prostate, testes, and certain other tissues. It is needed to develop and maintain male sex characteristics, such as facial hair, deep voice, and muscle growth. High amounts of androstanolone may increase the growth of prostate cancer and make it harder to treat. Also called DHT and dihydrotestosterone.

This answer is based on source information the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Hormone Replacement Therapy May Be Good
Fear-mongering about hormone replacement therapy isn’t good science. For the right woman with nasty menopausal symptoms and the right man with low tes...
What foods can help keep my pancreas healthy?
When you want a healthy, happy pancreas, you've got plenty of foods to choose from. Try these, for i...
When do I need to have my testosterone level checked?
Dr. Harris H. McIlwain, MDDr. Harris H. McIlwain, MD
If you are age 40 and above, or if you are having symptoms such as lack of energy, fatigue, or reduc...
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?