What does it mean if I have a cortisol deficiency?

ACTH deficiency means that the hormone is not stimulating the adrenal glands to produce cortisol, necessary in the regulation of blood pressure and cardiovascular function as well as regulation of the body's use of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats.

Adrenal insufficiency affects blood pressure, bone density, kidney function, and metabolism. The patient may suffer fatigue, stomach pain and weight loss, nausea and vomiting, especially in the morning, low blood pressure, dizziness and even loss of consciousness. Cortisol is necessary for life.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Hormone Replacement Therapy May Be Good
Fear-mongering about hormone replacement therapy isn’t good science. For the right woman with nasty menopausal symptoms and the right man with low tes...
How does multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 affect calcium in my body?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
When multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN1) creates tumors in the parathyroid glands, it leads t...
What do glands do?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Glands create hormones and release them into the bloodstream to be carried all over the body. Glands...
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?