What do my hormone levels say about my health?

When you have an acute disease or illness, your body shuts down production of some hormones. We know the mechanism of some of these. For others, we don't. One of the hormones that shut down is dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), a steroid produced by the adrenal glands. In fact, we now know that if you are a smoker and have a low DHEA level, your chance of dying in the next year is more than 150% higher than if you are a smoker and have a high DHEA level. That isn't because DHEA is so beneficial; it's because a low DHEA level is an indicator of acute illness in your system.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Hormone Replacement Therapy May Be Good
Fear-mongering about hormone replacement therapy isn’t good science. For the right woman with nasty menopausal symptoms and the right man with low tes...
How does follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) work?
Daniel A. Dumesic, MDDaniel A. Dumesic, MD
Under normal circumstances, the brain talks to the ovary, and the ovary communicates back to the bra...
How do I know if I have multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
A blood test can determine if a person has multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2). A person with...
What Are Effective Treatments for an Underactive Thyroid?