What are endocrine system diseases?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Endocrine system diseases are diseases that affect one or more glands of the endocrine system. The endocrine glands produce hormones and release them into the blood. They include the pituitary gland, parathyroid and thyroid glands, adrenal glands, pancreas, kidneys, ovaries, and testes.

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

The endocrine system consists of glands and cells within organs that are all closely related to other body systems. The pancreas is one example; it is part of the endocrine and digestive system. Some of the major glands of the endocrine system are the hypothalamus, pituitary gland, and pancreas. The endocrine system is composed of a network of organs and glands responsible for producing, storing, and secreting hormones that help to maintain and control vital functions such as growth, reproduction, and energy levels. There are several endocrine system diseases that result from disruptions in this complex system such as, diabetes, growth disorders, osteoporosis, Polycystic ovary syndrome, and thyroid disorders to name a few.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?