What should I do if I have numbness and tingling after parathyroid surgery?

Numbness and tingling in your lips or fingers occurs when your body senses decreased levels of calcium. This is a common occurrence after parathyroid surgery. You may feel these symptoms when your calcium levels have decreased to normal, but since you have been living with much higher calcium levels your body feels like the normal level is not enough. This could also be a sign that the parathyroids are not functioning yet, as in a case when all four of your glands are removed and a portion of one reimplanted. In this case it will take up to 6 weeks for the calcium levels to normalize.

You should contact your surgeon if these symptoms occur or discuss a plan for treating these symptoms with your surgeon before leaving the hospital.

For more information go the endocrinediseases.org:

Parathyroid Gland: Risks

Parathyroid Gland: Recovery

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?