What causes pheochromocytoma?

The mechanisms that turn healthy cells in the adrenal glands into tumors is still somewhat of a mystery. A couple of identified causes include inherited traits called multiple endocrine neoplasia, von Hippel-Lindau disease, and neurofibromatosis. All of these conditions cause pheochromocytomas to develop in chromaffin cells outside of the adrenal gland. However, inherited causes only account for about 10 percent of the cases of pheochromocytomas.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What chemicals are commonly found in emotional tears?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Chemicals found in emotional tears include the protein prolactin, the Adrenocorticotopic hormones an...
Should I see a doctor for my follicular adenoma thyroid nodules symptoms?
Yes, you should talk to your doctor if you experience the symptoms of follicular adenoma thyroid nod...
What Are Effective Treatments for an Underactive Thyroid?
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?