What causes carcinoid syndrome?

Carcinoid syndrome is caused by carcinoid tumors, although it is unclear what causes the tumors in the first place. These tumors produce chemicals (often serotonin) that cause the symptoms of carcinoid syndrome.
Carcinoid syndrome only occurs in less than ten percent of people who have carcinoid tumors, and it usually occurs in only the very advanced stages of the cancer. This is because the liver is able to get rid of the excess chemicals until one of two things happens: either the tumors spread to the liver or the level of chemicals becomes too high.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?